Goan prawn curry (hindu style)





This hindu style of Goan prawn curry is made with an underlying taste of asafoetida making it quite different from the regular curries. This recipe was given to me by my mums friend. Every time I make it I remember the wonderful meals I had at her home!


20 prawns, deveined and washed
1 cup grated coconut
1 teaspoon turmeric powder 
4-5 dry red chillies (I used 2-3 Byadgi chilies and 2-3 goan ones)
4-5 pepper corns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds 
A pinch of asafoetida
1 small onion,  minced
1 ridged gourd sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon oil
3 sliced green chilies
4-5 kokum
Salt to taste
Heat oil , add the sliced green chilies and onions. After a minute add the ridged gourd, salt and turmeric. Add 2-3 tbsp. of water, cover and cook. 
Grind together to a smooth paste the coconut, red chilies, pepper, coriander seeds and  asafoetida. 
Add this paste to the onion mix, enough water to make a medium curry, the prawns and kokum. Simmer for 6-7 mins. Serve with rice. 

Comments