Goan Snake gourd with lentils


                                      



Greetings, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I'm thrilled to share a recipe that has a special place in my heart and my kitchen – Goan Snake Gourd with Lentils. This delightful dish entered my culinary repertoire thanks to my dear friend Anjali Rajadhyaksha, a true Goan at heart, who graciously shared her kitchen wisdom with me.

Yesterday, Anjali and I embarked on a culinary adventure together. We strolled through the vibrant aisles of our local market, chatting animatedly about the diversity of ingredients and the secrets they hold.

As we selected the most tender snake gourds, Anjali's eyes lit up with the anticipation of the flavors to come. Her passion for Goan cuisine was infectious, and I found myself eager to recreate this traditional dish in my own kitchen.

Today, armed with a bag full of fresh snake gourds and memories of our market escapade, I dove into the culinary journey Anjali had laid out for me. The result? A mouthwatering Goan Snake Gourd with Lentils that I'm excited to share with you.



Ingredients:2 medium Snake Gourds, peeled and diced
2 tbsp. Bengal Gram lentils, soaked in water for a couple of hours
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Pepper Powder
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Sugar or Jaggery Powder
2 to 3 tbsp. Coconut (freshly grated or frozen)
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Ghee

                                            
    Cook the gourd and lentils in milk and water for about 20 mins. Once its starts to dry up, add salt, jaggery pd, turmeric, chilli pd and pepper pd. 
Mix in grated coconut and turn off the heat. In a separate pan heat ghee and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter mix in the cooked vegetable and serve. 






Comments